Trump countdown

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chocolate Chili Cookies



These cookies are super chocolatey, sort of like the outside of an Oreo cookie, only with real chocolate flavor.  Sort of like a brownie baked into a cookie. I used ground chipotle chili; the result was only the slightest hint of heat in the cookie that some couldn't even detect.  

I was a little thrown off by the direction to roll the dough into 1-ounce balls -- how large is a 1-ounce ball of dough???  It turns out it is about one inch or slightly larger, but since I ended up with 18 cookies instead of 20, my cookies were slightly too large.  Consequently, after 10 minutes, the cookies were still extremely soft, so I cooked them longer, and ultimately cooked them too long.  (The recipe warns against this.)  They were still tasty, but they were chewy-crunchy instead of fudgy.  (Better for dunking.)  They are the perfect cookie for chopping up and mixing into vanilla ice cream. 




These came together quickly and easily; the only tedious part is rolling the dough into the individual balls -- pretty sticky and messy.  You could probably use a dough scoop, but I didn't have mine available when I made these.  But since this is a recipe you could whip up on a moment's notice when the chocolate craving strikes, it's a good one to have up your sleeve.

Conclusion:  These are very chocolatey and nicely address a chocolate craving, but either increase the chili quantity or leave it out.  And as the recipe warns, don't over bake if you want that chewy texture.

Recipe:  Chocolate Chilli Cookies via Scientifically Sweet

2 comments:

  1. I made these about 1-2 months ago (I think I left a comment on her blog). They were awesome! Super chocolaty indeed! My dough was so sticky that there was no way I could form balls of dough. I refrigerated the dough for a bit and that went much better. I left out the chili but would use cayenne next time (have done that with brownies before and it's really good).

    ReplyDelete