Trump countdown

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sour Cherry and Greek Yogurt Scones



This  recipe uses yogurt and a little olive oil instead of butter, which made me worry about the resulting texture.  I didn't want a soft, bready scone!  And while these are not as short as a traditional scone, they were much better than I'd feared.  The outside bakes up crusty, though the inside remains a little soft.

I followed the recipe as she suggested, using 1/2 spelt flour (not sprouted) and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.  However, I used dried tart cherries, and only 1/2 cup (as they are not as voluminous as fresh).  The other change was, because I didn't want to be bothered with honey butter, I added the 1/2 t cardamom right into the flour mixture for the scone.  They had a very light cardamom flavor, very subtle.

Conclusion:  These were delicious and simple.  I'll be making them again.

Recipe:  Sour cherry yogurt scones with cardamom honey butter via the Christian Science Monitor

No comments:

Post a Comment