Sunday, December 25, 2022

Ginger Rum Balls

Swedish meatballs, anyone?  Oh, wait... these are the rumball cookies.  Fooled you!  What a disappointment.  Read on...

I thought I'd be whipping these together quickly -- it was anything but quick.  Everything needed to be finely chopped, which is very time-consuming, and then all the balls rolled individually.  Could you do it in a food processor?  Probably, but you'd likely get uneven texture with some larger chunks and lots of pulverized dust.  These should have some bite to them, not be like mush, but chunks will make them fragile and not hold together.

That wasn't the only problem with this recipe.  Shockingly, I couldn't find gingersnaps (seriously???), so I had to improvise with graham crackers and extra powdered ginger.  (I could have used Nilla wafers, but I don't like them and they're too sweet.  Then again, I don't like graham crackers either.)  It "worked" in that they came together, but I didn't care for the results at all.  You have to start with a base you like-- all the additives aren't going to fix it if it's not tasty to start with. 

Here's what I used, which yielded 25 approximately 1-inch balls:

2 cups gingersnap crumbs, about 56 cookies 12 graham crackers (11/3 packages)

1 cup walnuts, toasted

1/2 cup dark raisins, finely chopped

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

2 tablespoons dark rum

1 tablespoon grated orange peel

1/2 teaspoon 1 tablespoon ground ginger 

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup powdered sugar (used, but shouldn't have)

2 tablespoons VERY finely chopped, crystallized ginger

 

Spread 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs in shallow dish; set aside. In large bowl, combine remaining 1½ cups gingersnap crumbs, walnuts, raisins, milk, rum, orange peel, ground ginger, and nutmeg; stir until thoroughly blended. Shape mixture by level tablespoons into balls. Toss reserved gingersnap crumbs with crystallized ginger; roll balls in mixture to coat thoroughly. Store in tightly covered containers in cool, dry place at least 24 hours and up to two weeks.

 

My recollection of rum balls is that they're almost always far too sweet.  They start with a sweet cookie, then add even more sugary ingredients, resulting in something more like a confection than a cookie.  My aim was to keep the sugar content in check.  So imagine my surprise when I tasted the dough and thought, "It could use more sugar."  Besides, it seemed a little wet.  So I added a little powdered sugar.  However, these firmed and dried quite a bit over the following days and didn't need the added powdered sugar, either for flavor or texture.

Mixing them was a bit of a disaster.  When I tried to roll the balls in the coating, all the crystallized ginger fell off.  The balls were too dry!  I finally threw all the balls back into the bowl, dumped in the coating mixture and blended it all together.  (This would have contributed to the cookies firming up considerably, even though I threw in a hearty splash of rum.)  I would not attempt again trying to keep the crystallized ginger on the outside, but would just mix it in to start with.

In the end, they tasted like a commercial cookie, slightly lemony.  (I have a flavoring called "Princess Cake" that is slightly lemony and reminds me of the flavor of commercial baked goods.  It's probably what the graham crackers had been flavored with.)  And the ginger flavor kept changing:  at first it was just a sensation of heat; after a few days it became somewhat floral, almost soapy; after two weeks it had mellowed and practically disappeared, leaving just a trace of heat behind.  The raisins shined through everything, but not so much the orange or other spices, and the rum disappeared in short order.

Conclusion:  Sorely disappointed.  Not distinctly gingery, only mildly rummy.  Mostly they tasted like store-bought raisin cookies.  And they were ugly!!  (I don't have a photo of the magazine's product, but everything about them is brown.)  But I'm hesitant to toss the recipe because I messed up on the main ingredient.  Then again, there are a lot of other recipes out there.  This one was a fail.

Recipe:  "Ginger-rum Balls" recipe card from women's magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment