Friday, October 14, 2022

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts


I love this recipe for pumpkin ice cream muffins-- to me they taste like doughnuts.  So I wondered how they would work if baked in a doughnut pan-- would they make decent doughnuts?  Today I finally tried it, and they were ...  underwhelming.  I've always been skeptical of doughnut baking pans because the key part of a doughnut -- what makes it so decadently delicious -- was the crispy fried exterior with that extra bit of fat.  It not only has a different mouth feel, but it has a different flavor as well.  In the absence of that, it's just another baked good.

The doughnuts tasted fine, but they weren't very substantial.  It didn't feel like I was eating a doughnut, but rather a skinny muffin.  So I gave up and overfilled the tins to make something more like a flat muffin.  One of these days, I'll have to try one of the recipes that claims to actually be a doughnut batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment