Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Apple Walnut Muffins

 

One of my favorite recipes.  These muffins have big bites of tangy apples and crunchy walnuts that scent the kitchen as they bake.  You could change up the recipe to replace the raisins with other fruit, like dried cranberries, or apricots.  I've even thought about adding cheddar cheese.  I did replace most of the white flour with whole wheat, and they're fine either way.

To make eight muffins, here's what I used, with a few modifications:

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups diced apple, unpeeled (about 1 large)
1/2 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 cup flour (mix of white with up to 3/4 whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup broken walnuts (in large pieces)

In a mixing bowl, add the egg, oil, and vanilla and stir to blend well.  Add the apples, sugar, and molasses and mix thoroughly.  Sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; add the to apple mixture and mix well.  Add the raisins and walnuts and mix until they are evenly distributed.  Spoon into greased muffin tins.  Bake at 325F for about 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  Serve warm.

Full disclosure:  I made these the moment I got up and, not being a morning person, I made a few mistakes.  First, I dumped the flour in with the apples and had to dig out as much as I could to sift with the other dry ingredients.  (After nearly doing the same with the baking soda and the cinnamon, I had to move the bowl away from my work area until I was ready for it again.)  Then, as I was transcribing the recipe, I realized I used only half the apple amount.  (And yet, they were still delicious.)  I really shouldn't be baking in the morning.  At least not first thing.

Conclusion:  These will continue to be on regular rotation in my house, but I'll be sure to add ALL the apples.  And now that I've thought of it, I'm really anxious to try the cheddar option.

Recipe:  Raw Apple Muffins via The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment