Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March ABC challenge: Ukrainian Snowcap Cookies

 

This month's challenge is Ukrainian desserts.  To be honest, I'm not sure this is Ukrainian -- or if it is, I think it's been Americanized.  Whatever, it was yummy!  I thought these were cookies with a meringue "frosting", but they're more like macaroons with a cookie base.  At least that's how mine turned out.  

The recipe called for a "small" cookie cutter.  I used a 1.25" fluted cutter.  That worked fine, but in hindsight I think a 1.75" cutter would be a better size (although it might alter the bake time.)  I think I also rolled them slightly less than 1/4".

To get 4½ dozen small cookies, here's what I used:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (not necessary but recommended)
1/2 cup salted butter
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon cream

Topping
3 egg whites
1¼ cups confectioners' sugar
1½ cups chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut (see note)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and beat in egg yolks one at a time. Stir in cream, and then mix in the dry ingredients to form a light dough. If necessary, cover dough and chill for 30 minutes for easier handling. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into small circles. Place the circles about an inch apart onto baking sheets. 

In a clean glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add confectioners' sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. Fold in walnuts and coconut. Mound a generous spoonful of the meringue mixture onto the top of each cookie. (Any excess meringue can be baked off without the cookie base.) Bake for 12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Remove to a rack to cool.

Note
For mildly sweet cookies, use unsweetened coconut.


These were really tasty! It was hard to stop eating at a reasonable number. The recipe was pretty easy too, except for one hiccough: I can't make meringue. The whites whip up fine at first, but once I start adding sugar they collapse and I end up with a sticky, runny "sauce". (I think the whites aren't stiff enough when I start adding sugar.) This time was no different, but I persevered. It turned out there was enough nuts and coconut to stick everything together pretty solidly, so it worked out.

The cookie base has perhaps a bit too much butter. (They were very rich!) The recipe called for greased baking sheets, which at first I ignored because I knew this sort of cookie didn't require it. But I changed my mind because I was afraid the meringue might contact the pan and stick. As it was, there was so much oil oozing from the cookies that they slid around independently like pucks on an air hockey table!

These were fairly mild flavored, which was fine, although I think a little vanilla in the cookie base would be nice. I had been concerned that the cookies would burn on the bottom because of the high butter content, but they were fine. In fact, they might have been a wee bit too pale, especially in the middles. I recommend pressing the cookies down gently on the sheet to ensure there's good surface contact, which should promote browning.

Conclusion:  I really liked these, perhaps a little too much. Easy enough to make that I'll probably do them again. They went on my "favorites" list!

Recipe:  Ukrainian Snow Cap Cookies via RedCipes

No comments:

Post a Comment