Thursday, November 4, 2021

Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake


So not pretty.

Why are these called "mug cakes"?  Or, if they're going to call them that, why do the recipes always direct you to use a "large" mug?  I don't make them very often, but without fail I end up with something that barely wets the bottom of my rather standard-sized mug.  These are really "cup" cakes, as in a tea or coffee cup that maxes out at about 6 ounces and most people don't even own, not the mugs we're used to using for our hot beverages that are at least 12 ounces and more.  (Okay, I just double checked the recipe and she doesn't specify a "large" mug.  Mea culpa.)  I added up the quantity of the ingredients, which came to a little over 1 cup, accounted for some rise and figured my standard mug would work nicely.  But as you can see, it fills the mug only about half way.  It's more than just a disappointment visually -- I think having so much rim above the batter affects the way it bakes.

If you truly want a mug of cake, I recommend doubling this recipe.  But I made it as is, and here's what I used:

2 tablespoons applesauce*
1 tablespoon vegetable oil clarified butter
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon (scant) salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)

Cream Cheese Icing
1 tablespoon cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon milk (optional)

Combine the icing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until smooth; set aside. 

Combine the applesauce, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and brown sugar in a mug and whisk or stir together until combined.  Add the dry ingredients and combine well.  Microwave mixture on high power for 1 minute, then check cake for doneness.  If it is not fully cooked, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.  Serve warm, topped with Cream Cheese Icing.

*I didn't have applesauce, so I peeled and chopped a small apple and microwaved until very soft, then mashed with a fork.  I added a little water to loosen it up, but it still wasn't as wet as commercial applesauce.  

My oil smelled a little off, so I melted clarified butter to use instead.  (Oil makes for a moister standard cake than butter.)  I didn't use the nutmeg because I've never put nutmeg in a cinnamon roll.  I had only two tablespoons of liquid, plus the apple, when I added the flour, and I ended up with a stiff paste.  I made the mistake of adding a little more liquid; I should have waited, because it loosened up considerably after I stirred in the sugar.  I've rearranged the directions so you have all the liquids together before adding the dry ingredients.  (It also makes it easier to mix completely when the liquid is on the bottom.)  And yes, you do need all that cinnamon.  However, unless you want to swirl a fancy design with the icing like the creator did, you might not need the milk in the icing.  (Mine turned out runny.)

Conclusion:  The flavor on this was really good, but the texture was terrible:  thick, heavy, and gummy.  I blame myself for not following the recipe properly and for not baking it long enough.  (The skewer came out clean, but it turned out it was because I had a thick gum that was solidifying.)  I very likely had too much liquid, and I might have fussed with it for too long after the baking powder went in.  (I'm not sure how much of a problem that might have caused.)  One of the best things about mug cakes, though, is that it's so easy to try again.

Recipe:  Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake via Cooking Classy

No comments:

Post a Comment