Friday, December 25, 2020

Buttery Pumpkin Pecan Bread

 

I cut this recipe out of a magazine probably back in the '80s.  It's been one of my Christmas favorites, light and buttery with a mild pumpkin flavor.  The original recipe makes two loaves; I've cut the recipe in half here.

1¾ cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

3/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pecan halves

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar

2 large eggs

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup canned pumpkin (one-quarter of 15-ounce can)

2 tablespoons apple cider (see note)


In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and allspice.  Coarsely chop the 1/2 cup pecans and add to the flour mixture along with the raisins and sugar; stir to combine.  In another bowl, combine thoroughly the eggs, butter, pumpkin, and apple cider; add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.  Pour batter into a greased 8¼ x 4½ x 2½-inch loaf pan.  Decorate with remaining 2 tablespoons of pecan halves and bake at 350 degrees for 50 -- 55 minutes until wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on rack.  Serve with lemon-honey butter.


Lemon-honey butter

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon lemon zest

 

Note:   I've always made this with cider, but I didn't have any this year.  I've never thought that small amount of cider makes a difference in flavor, so any liquid would probably work fine, so I used orange juice. 

This baked up fine in a 7⅜ x 3⅝  x 2¼-inch loaf pan. In fact, I might even like it better than in a larger pan.  However, I'm not sure what happened this time, but the batter was super thick, which produced a denser crumb.  The flavor was off as well--- it was missing that delicate, buttery flavor I've loved.  It tasted wheaty, like it was made with whole wheat flour.  The only other change I made this time was to leave off the extra 2 tablespoons of sugar; they're needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment