Monday, November 11, 2019

Blueberry muffins I


I have in my mind the perfect blueberry muffin, but I've never been able to create it.  (My second and third attempts can be found here and here.)  I looked at 3 muffin recipes I have, two of which I've made with moderate success; the third was nearly identical to one of the others.  I had notes on my impressions, and suggestions for changes.  So I've cobbled together my own recipe here, cutting it in half to yield 6 average-sized muffins.

Here's what I used:

3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 extra large egg
1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
1 tablespoon heavy cream
3 tablespoons orange flower water

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then mix in the oats.  In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and beat until light.  Starting with the dry ingredients, add half at a time, alternating with the liquids and stir until just mixed.  Fold in the blueberries.  Drop into 6 greased muffin tins and bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.  Cool on a rack about 10 minutes, until firm enough to be removed.

I wish I'd had some fresh basil to try out with the blueberries, but in the absence of that I decided to try adding something floral.   My orange flower water tasted really watery, so I wanted to use as much as I could, but didn't want to omit all the dairy entirely, so I used a little heavy cream (for the fat and flavor).  In the end, I still don't think I could taste it.



I omitted vanilla because in one of the earlier versions I didn't like it.  Perhaps there was too much (1 teaspoon).  But these needed something.  I'd tried cardamom before and not sure it was "it".  Didn't think I wanted cinnamon.  Definitely not ginger...  I don't know.  I tried out dipping the tops in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar for one and cardamom sugar for another; both were tasty, but then why wouldn't they be?  I'm looking for THE complimentary spice or herb or flavor.  The search continues.  (Hence the "I" in the title.)

Conclusion:  While this wasn't "the" recipe, they were good.  Nice texture.  Could use a wee bit more salt (and if dipping tops in butter, that could be enough) and perhaps even just a little more sugar, depending on the berries.  I also wish I'd thought to add some dried blueberries, which are sweetened and might have been sufficient.  Contrary to logic, 1 cup of berries really is too much.  I want cake and berry--- not berry and some crumbs.  (And these were unusually large berries.)  I think I will add a little vanilla in the future, but still undecided on what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment