Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake


The only pound cake I knew as a child was the frozen one that came in a box.  It's still a favorite, I must admit -- or at least it is in my head.  My memories from childhood are of an intensely buttery, dense cake with a soft, dark crust that needed nothing else.  I was never satisfied with the thin, 1/2" slice I was doled out.  (It was a small cake, and a big family.)  So to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed the first time I had homemade pound cake.  It was too sweet, not buttery, and had a weird, crunchy crust.  I've had several different recipes, and they were all pretty much the same.  What's with that top crust that doesn't quite attach to the cake, anyway?

Enter:  this one.  Perhaps it's the cream cheese that makes the difference.  All I know is this cake is moist, buttery, not too sweet, with the added warmth of cinnamon.  I doubled the spice, which made it clearly a cinnamon cake, but I think the original version with just a light touch would be lovely as well.

No crunchy, crumbling crust here.

The recipe is very easy, though a little time-consuming with all the mixing involved.  (You don't want to take this on without modern conveniences.)  Aside from the increased spice, the only other change I made was to use whole-milk Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk, thinned down with some skim milk.  It seemed to work out fine.  This recipe made a large cake that was perfect for the company potluck holiday lunch.


Conclusion:  Delicious.  Fine plain, but would be extra special served with a tangy cranberry/pear compote and a dollop of whipped cream.

Recipe:  Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake  via Evil Shenanigans

No comments:

Post a Comment