Trump countdown

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Autumn Pear Pie



This pie has all the traditional flavors for a Thanksgiving dessert while having something just a little different:  pears instead of apples!  The original recipe calls it Pear Butterscotch Pie, but I think that is a misnomer.  There is no butterscotch in it, and nothing that really would create that flavor.  But the butter and sugar and spices all make for a wonderful combination.

I didn't know I was going to make this until the day before, and as everyone knows you can't buy ripe pears.  So they were still pretty crunchy, and that didn't cook out of them.  (That surprised me.)  Consequently, I think the 1/6 slices were a bit fat for the pie, and would prefer 1/8 or thinner.  (In fact, I did cut most of the pears into eighths.)

This recipe could easily handle apples instead of pears, or a combination would be nice!


With such large pear slices, you want to make sure
to fit them together snugly.


Ready for the oven!

So much for the decorative cutouts.

Conclusion:  This was delicious and I would make it again, but I would be sure to have sweet, ripe pears.   I would also increase the amount of spice mix, add a little more salt, and cut the pears into thinner slices.

Recipe:  Pear Butterscotch Pie via Epicurious



No comments:

Post a Comment